Friday, June 21, 2013

Crusader Poop

My brother the archivist sent me this link the other day:


Ancient Toilet Reveals Parasites in Crusader Poop

Besides the fact that 'Crusader Poop' was the name of my first band, it was most welcome.  As my veteran Fearless Readers will be aware, I have become something of an Archaeology groupie, having spent part of the last two summers digging up old stuff out of the red Virginia Piedmont clay.  So it was fascinating to read about what they've learned about 12th century crusaders.  To the uninitiated, Scatology (also known as Coprology), is the study of ancient (sometimes verrrry ancient, as in dinosaur ancient) feces to learn about diet, disease and the like.  I have yet to see this arcane science at work; however, wouldn't that be a great way to introduce yourself at cocktail parties?  Can you imagine how many chicks (or dudes) would go for the line "Hi beautiful, I'm a Coprologist.  Wanna come home with me and look at my shit?"
A crusader 'necessary' in a castle on Cyprus.  Archaeologists love nothing more than a good latrine.
Maybe I'll get to study some Celtic crap at the dig I'm going to in Spain in a couple weeks!



No comments:

Post a Comment